Truck drivers perform what’s often considered one of the most dangerous jobs in the United States while being some of the most essential workers. With that in mind, we’ve put together our top safety tips for the new and experienced truck drivers alike.
- Don’t skip on maintenance and repairs. If you take care of your equipment, it can take care of you. Ensuring your truck or trailer is ready to hit the road – and keep you on the road safely – is one of the most important things you can do. If your unit isn’t in good condition, no amount of experience is enough. Follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance guidelines and always do a look over of your unit (tires, under the truck for oil drips or coolant drips, headlights, clean windows and mirrors, etc.) and load before getting on your way.
- Slow down and maintain control. Pressure to deliver on time can make it seem like a good idea to speed up, but slowing down and maintaining control of your unit is a must-do. This includes leaving enough room in front of your rig, watching out for tight turns, and staying alert.
- Take care of yourself. We’re all guilty of not taking care of ourselves the way we should, but do your best to take breaks, eat regular meals, find time to relax, and stay hands-free while driving.
- Keep an eye on the weather. Stay informed on the weather conditions and be prepared for adverse conditions that may impact your ability to drive safely.
- Ability to trust in your unit. Is your equipment reliable and ready to handle the load you have to carry? There comes a point when any unit is beyond repair and it’s time to replace or upgrade for new requirements. Don’t put yourself in harms way with a unit you know isn’t equipped for the job.
Transwest Trailers offers a large inventory of commercial trailers for agriculture, commercial, construction, propane, refined fuel, and more from some of the best manufacturers around. Contact us at Transwest Trailers at 888-432-8875 or visit us at TranswestTrailers.com to see available inventory and dealership locations.