The holiday season is a magical time of year, and the luckiest among us will celebrate it by hitting the open road in our RV. Whether you're a full-timer or just planning a special holiday getaway, celebrating the holidays in an RV can be a unique and unforgettable experience. We have some tips and inspiration to make your holiday season on the road a truly special one.
4 tips to help you choose your perfect holiday destination
One of the first decisions you'll need to make when celebrating the holidays in an RV is planning the right road trip. Here are some considerations to keep in mind:
- Explore Holiday-Themed Destinations: Look for destinations that go all out with holiday decorations and festivities. Many cities and towns transform into winter wonderlands during the holiday season. If you need some ideas, check out this video of the 10 Best Christmas Towns in America.
- National Parks: The RV community loves our National Park system, and the holidays are a great time to experience them. National parks offer a unique and peaceful atmosphere, and they can be a great escape from the hustle and bustle normally associated with the holidays.
- Beach Getaways: For those who crave a warmer climate during the holidays, consider heading to a beach destination. You can enjoy a tropical twist on the holiday season while basking in the sun and watching the waves. Many campgrounds are right along the beach.
- Family Visits: If you have friends or family living in another state, why not plan your holiday celebrations around visiting them? An RV allows you to bring the festivities to your loved ones or join them for a memorable holiday reunion.
4 tips to decorate your RV for the holidays
Creating a festive atmosphere both inside and outside of your RV can make a big difference in getting into the holiday spirit. Here are some decorating tips:
- Hang Lights: Hang string lights inside and outside your RV. Twinkling lights instantly add a cozy and festive ambiance. LED lights are a great choice for this. They draw much less power, and you won’t spend an hour trying to track down a burned-out bulb.
- Wreaths and Garlands: Decorate your RV door with a holiday wreath and drape garlands along the interior. These simple additions can make your home on wheels feel like a winter wonderland. You can purchase already completed ones or make your own with kits from stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael’s.
- Mini Christmas Tree: Few things say holidays faster than a Christmas tree. A small, tabletop-sized tree should fit comfortably inside your RV. Decorate it with ornaments, lights, and a tree topper for a touch of holiday cheer.
- Festive Bedding and Pillows: Update your bedding and pillows with holiday-themed designs. This can change your RV's interior and make it feel more like home during the holidays.
2 ideas for meal planning
Holidays are a time for indulging in delicious meals and treats. Here's how to plan your holiday feasts while on the road:
- Meal Planning: Prepare a holiday meal plan in advance. Take into account the limited space and cooking facilities in your RV. Simple recipes that require fewer ingredients and minimal prep can be a lifesaver.
- Stock Up on Essentials: Before hitting the road, make a list of essential holiday ingredients, such as spices, canned goods, and baking supplies. Read more about how to stock your RV pantry.
2 steps to stay connected in your RV
While celebrating the holidays in an RV is about disconnecting from the daily grind, staying connected with loved ones is essential. Here's how to maintain those connections:
- Internet Access: Ensure you have a reliable internet connection in your RV. This will allow you to stay in touch with family and friends, especially if you can't be with them in person. Starlink Roam is a great option for internet on the road, and Transwest can install it in any RV.
- Social Media Updates: Share your holiday adventures and experiences on social media. It's a great way to connect with fellow RV enthusiasts and inspire others to embark on their own holiday adventures.
4 ways to engage in local festivities
One of the most exciting aspects of celebrating the holidays in an RV is experiencing the unique traditions and festivities of the places you visit. Here's how to make the most of your location:
- Research Local Events: Before arriving at your destination, research local holiday events and traditions. Make a list of activities and celebrations you want to participate in.
- Attend Parades and Light Displays: Many cities host holiday parades and light displays. Check the local event calendar and mark your calendar for these festivities.
- Visit Christmas Markets: Christmas markets are a holiday tradition in many places. These markets offer an array of seasonal treats, gifts, and a festive atmosphere that you won't want to miss.
- Caroling and Concerts: Keep an eye out for local caroling events and holiday concerts. Participating in or attending these can be a heartwarming experience. Maybe you can even start your own at the campground.
4 ways to create your own RV holiday traditions
To make your holiday RV adventures even more special, consider starting some new traditions:
- Advent Calendar: Create an advent calendar filled with small surprises or activities for each day leading up to the holiday. It's a fun way to count down to the big day.
- Holiday Movie Nights: Designate a night for holiday movie marathons in your RV. Bring along your favorite holiday films, popcorn, and cozy blankets for the perfect movie night.
- Outdoor Activities: Get outside too. Plan outdoor activities like hiking, sledding, or snowshoeing. Or if you decided on the beach getaway, try kayaking or stand-up paddleboarding. It's a great way to make the most of the natural beauty around you.
- Collect ornaments: One fun tradition is to collect Christmas ornaments during your travels throughout the year. Then, at the end of the year, those ornaments remind you of all your adventures while you decorate your tree.
2 tips to help you be mindful of others
As you celebrate the holidays in your RV, remember to be considerate of those around you:
- Campground Etiquette: Respect the rules and regulations of the campgrounds you visit. Keep noise levels down, dispose of trash properly, and be a good neighbor to your fellow campers.
- Environmental Responsibility: Be mindful of the environment and practice responsible camping. Leave no trace, dispose of waste properly, and conserve resources like water and electricity.
No matter which of these you choose, it’s important to be a good ambassador for the RV community. Share the joy and spread holiday cheer with your neighbors at the campground. It's a great way to make new friends and celebrate the holidays in an RV.
Want to celebrate the holidays in your own mobile home?
Transwest’s friendly and knowledgeable staff is always available to help you choose from the highest quality RVs (and more) from top manufacturers. Find a location near you, or shop our online inventory to find the perfect new or used RV for your next on-the-road holiday celebration.